Closes: Feb 29, 2024
Parks General Hand (Ref: 1377)
Overlooking the Indian Ocean, Geraldton is a thriving regional city at the heart of Australia's Coral Coast. With a growing population of over 41,000 people it offers a wide range of services and activities. Geraldton is recognised as one of WA's key growth areas and the opportunities in this regional city are plentiful. You can be part of working with us to deliver the best for our community and this region.
The City of Greater Geraldton actively welcomes, includes and values the unique contributions of all people in its workplace. The City welcomes applications from all age groups, people with a disability, and those from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer with strong commitment to fitness for work and safety in the workplace.
About the position:
The Parks General Hand undertakes operational activities associated with the provision of landscape maintenance services including but not limited to planting, pruning, hedging, mulching, weed management and minor irrigation repairs. Working under direction to ensure all work is carried out within agreed programs and budget constraints and compliant with relevant Work Health and Safety regulations and City policies and procedures.
This position works a 9-day fortnight, with every second Friday as a non-working day.
- Work within the Parks team to maintain the City’s parks and gardens, including streetscapes, amenities, turf, park and street furniture, playgrounds and open space reserves to a high standard.
- Undertake general maintenance duties including planting, fertilising, mulching, weed managment, pruning, mowing, brush cutting, spraying, cleaning and rubbish removal.
- Operation and minor maintenance of plant and equipment associated with horticulture and parks maintenance inlcuding pruning and hedging equipment, ride-on mowers, brush cutters, chainsaws, blowers, other similar machinery and hand tools.
- Report any damage or faults in relation to the plant and equipment, and any public complaings or damage to parks infrastructure to the line Supervisor as soon as possible.
- Secure all vehicles, plant and equipment in a safe and appropriate area when on site and in the Depot compound.
For further information and to view the position description, visit www.cgg.wa.gov.au/employment
To gain a better understanding of the role, please call Jim Sweetman, Coordinator Parks on 08 9956 6711.
The successful applicant will ideally have relevant industry qualification or demonstrated experience in garden maintenance techniques including fertiliser and herbicide application, turf management, landscaping, parks infrastructure and irrigation.
Completion of a pre-employment medical including alcohol and other substances testing is required of all positions at the City.
Remuneration and benefits:
A salary starting from $69,663 per annum or $35.25 per hour will be offered dependent on knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications.
Some of the additional benefits of working for the City include:
- Up to 20% Superannuation (with superannuation co-contribution scheme)
- 9-day fortnight
- 22 Annual Leave days per annum
- Health & Wellbeing Program
- Flexible working arrangements
- Career opportunities
- Study Assistance
- Free parking
Interested in applying?
For information on how to apply for this position, visit the City’s website: www.cgg.wa.gov.au/employment
Applications close 4pm Wednesday 28 February 2024
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER